Sunday, August 8, 2010

Some Random Musings

Lately I've been soul searching and asking myself some tough questions. One in particular: "If I never get to be a mommy, what do I want to be?" I'm certainly not giving up on having kids. However, I can't continue to live life focused on the one thing that is totally and utterly beyond my control. When I focus on what I don't have, it makes me envious of what others do have. I've lived my life the past 3 years with the mindset of children being the ultimate finish line for my complete happiness. Pretty sad. If I continue this pattern, I fear what the longing would turn me into. So, I decided to live with a passion for something, anything that I could use to make myself and others happy.

Cooking is the one thing I absolutely love to do. It's takes my edge off; it relaxes me. I feel this wonderful sense of accomplishment when I make something that engages so many of the senses in replenishing my body. The more complex and intricate the recipe, the more I relish in preparing each ingredient and combining them into something wonderful. Slicing strawberries with my new paring knife made me smile. Cutting in the butter and flour to make my shortcake while constantly running my fingers through the mixture to be certain the the texture was right was so gratifying. Yes, cooking truly is my passion; it makes me feel so alive.

So, the answer to my question? What do I want to be when I grow up? The more I consider my question, the more I really believe I would want to become a chef. The idea of going to culinary school sounds like paradise. Learning new techniques and recipes, tasting new flavors and making discoveries in my own kitchen; it's exciting! I did a little research today and requested some information from the Art Institute of Dallas' culinary school. Pretty cool huh? It takes 182 hours of schooling to get a B.S. in Culinary Management. This degree plan would allow me to run my own restaurant. 4 years of school seems ambitious. However, the idea of working hard for the title of Chef and earning a bachelor's degree is very appealing. It's a big accomplishment, and I'm excited to jump in feet first. So, the first hurdle: paying for school.

I have a new found motivator in making Pampered Chef successful for me. When you start Pampered Chef they tell you to have goals... without goals you don't do very well. My only "goal" was to supplement our income. That's it. Now I have a reason to supplement our income. My plan is to get on the phone with a councilor this week to see what it's going to take to get me enrolled.

Oh, another success story for natural living. I suffer from hard water wreaking havoc on my drinking glasses. A tablespoon of Dr. Bronner's castile soap, 1 cup of white vinegar in a sink filled with hot water; submerse the glasses in the water for 15 minutes and rinse with water and hand dry. My glasses aren't cloudy anymore! Not so thrilled about the smell of scentless Dr. Bronner's however... it's not pleasant for my over-sensitive nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment