Saturday, June 11, 2011

Home Sweet Home


We arrived home at midnight on Wednesday night. A good time was had by all. It was wonderful to enjoy the beauty of West Texas, and conquer the rugged landscape. We had 2 actual hiking days... no mountains, but the canyon was quite challenging. The average temperature was 105 on the hike... HOT!

Some highlights include:
  • The cool, clear waters of Balmorhea's Solomon Springs.
  • A breathtaking view of the sunset at McDonald Observatory near Ft. Davis.
  • A rustic hotel room with a wonderful king bed... the room smelled of gourmet coffee!
  • Some quality time with a precious, fat kitty named "Dice."
  • Homemade breakfast... every morning. The strawberries were mind boggling!
  • The hardest hike of my life through a gorgeous canyon. I was the queen of the canyon, and I nearly conquered it unscathed.
  • 20 or so big horned rams just chillin' on the rocks.
  • Finding the perfect rock for a special sculpture I have been planning!
  • A hike through the desert with an old friend.
  • Lemonade on the patio, cool grass, and time with family.
  • The splendor of Carlsbad caverns.
I have slowly but surely gotten back into my routine. Today we did family things and I got some quality time with the chickens. There was a great adventure with a huge king snake... apparently I had just been standing right under him for a solid 15 minutes... yikes! Dad and Daniel saved the day, and the snake lives to scare the daylights out of another unsuspecting woman.

121. Chickens scrambling to keep from getting caught.
122. Little field mice who seem to be fearless.
123. Shy snakes.
124. The feeling of accomplishing one of the hardest physical challenges of my life.
125. West Texas sunsets.


*The photo uploader is still broken, so I am experimenting with Flickr... click the links to see the corresponding pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment